Saturday, April 30, 2011

Week 35 Apr. 30 - Green Lake, again

Total Distance: Approximately 9 miles
Elevation Gain: Approximately 1400 ft.
 
Time: 8:45 am - 1:15 pm 
Weather: Overcast, cool, a little rainy early then a partly cloudy sunny afternoon.
  


This weekend I took 4 students and two adults from the Outdoor Club at my work to the same place I went two and a half weeks ago on my crazy mid-week hike.  While out on the mid week hike, I was telling my good friend from work that this would be perfect for a quick outing, if we wanted to bring the club out and time was a factor.  Sure enough, last weekend was beach clean-up, and this weekend was the weekend before AP exams start at school.  Many of our club members are enrolled in several APs.  So this seemed like a good hike to do early on Saturday, giving the rest of the day and all day Sunday to "study."  

First we all met at our normal  meet up spot this morning, and everyone was there early.  Four students (3 who had not been on a club hike before, and two co-workers (a person who had never been on a club hike and my best friend from work, crazy old hiker guy).  Took two cars, and made it to the trailhead in about an hour and 20 minutes. Learning from my last hike here, I took the time to put on my gaiters, and I strapped my snowshoes to the pack.  

We started up the road and had a great time meandering along the washed out road through a beautiful old-growth along the mighty Carbon River.  After a short hour, we were at the Green Lake trailhead.  According to the Mt. Rainier signs, this was a three mile walk.  We started up the trail for Green Lake, again according to sign posts, this was a 1.8 mile walk.  The walk along this trail was really awesome.  I love getting to know a trail.  It was still covered with a lot of snow.  Some hikers in the last few days must have helped pack it down, and it was not necessary bring snowshoes. I recognized many of the switch-backs, I had a sense of timing and pace, I remembered vivid details like what the rocks on the trail looked like at the turn from Ranger Falls.  I naturally was excited to hike, again.  

Over the last few weeks, I have been shamelessly promoting my blog and my commitment to hike for an entire year.  People are very generous with their words when I mention this, and I get that the last 35 weeks are something to be proud of.  But this week, while walking, I was talking with the other adult who came along, and I really understood something about this particular commitment, and any commitment I make.  There is 100% left to go.  Now, I know I teach math, and 17/52 is about 0.32692.. or 32.7%.  But my commitment is to hike for 52 weeks, and there is still 100% left to go.  Each week holds the entire commitment alive, and holds the commitment in the balance.  Each week the reward grows beyond my expectations.  

Made it to the lake, some of the kids were there early with one adult.  I was in the back with the other kids and my hiker buddy.  We appeared to be the first visitors of the day.  Had the lake all to ourselves.  The clouds were lifting, revealing the brilliant blue skies of a spring day.  The warm sun rays shining at the lake and on our hike out were spectacular to my skin.  

We left the lake at 11:15 am and were back at the car by 1:15 pm.  Great talks with kids about life.  

Orchid: The hike.  

Onion: None. Cloudy morning, if I have to pick.  

Picture:

Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.8

No comments:

Post a Comment