Monday, August 15, 2011

Week 50.1 Aug. 15 - Carbon Glacier

Total Distance: Approximately 17 miles
Elevation Gain: Approximately 1640 ft.
Time: 11:00 am - 5:30 pm
Weather: Sunny, warm in direct sunlight, cool in shade. Perfect for a hike.

My friend and colleague, who has hiked with me more than anyone this last year (or ever I bet), returned home to Tacoma from his summer travels on Sunday.  He was itching to get back out and hike, and I have a hard time saying no to a hike.  So the day after I summitted Mt. Adams, I went on a 17 mile hike up to the Carbon Glacier in Mt. Rainier National Park.

We got to the Carbon River entrance at 10:45 am, geared up, used the restroom, and hit the trail by 11 am.  The plan was to try and get up to the glacier and back by 5 pm.  We had six hours to go 17 miles.

The first 4.9 miles of the hike are along the old road to Ipsut Creek Campground.  Apparently the road has been washed out and repaired so many times that the park service has decided to quit repairing the road and instead maintain the trail as a multi-use trail, allowing bikes and hikers both to use the trail.  While hiking a road is not always the "best hiking," it was great to walk side-by-side with one of my greatest friends and catch up.

I did not see how long it took us to get to the Ipsut Campground, but we did not take a break.  We kept walking, now on the Wonderland trail.  We crossed the Carbon River at the lower crossing (the trail to the upper crossing was closed).  We had a few switchbacks on the north side of the river.  After a bit of a climb, we hit a trail marker indicating we had a mile and a half; it was 1:31 pm.  The next mile was steep but not terrible.  We hit the drawbridge of the upper crossing when we had only 0.4 miles left to go.

Here the trail became very steep.  While I did not stop, my pace slowed.  My friend got a bit ahead, but I enjoyed the last push, and I was staring at the Carbon Glacier at 1:54 pm.  We took a thirty minute break for snacks and water.  It was the first break of the day.  The glacier was impressive.  It looked gray, was covered in debris, and it sits beautifully between two peaks and right below Mt. Rainier.

We gathered up our stuff and set off for the car at 2:30 pm.  The walk out was a little painful at first.  My knees, ankles, and legs were all sore, but my feet were aching.  My pace out felt slower, and it created a bit of separation between my friend and I.  I always enjoy walking in the woods, even today as my feet were in more pain with each step.

We walked the road out together, but my feet did not help us pick up the pace.  We were back at the car by 5:30 pm.  We took too long of a break, but we didn't mind.

Orchid: Hiking with my good friend.

Onion: My sore feet.

Picture:

Google Map

No comments:

Post a Comment