Saturday, April 7, 2012

Week 84 Apr. 7 - Gold Creek Basin

Total Distance: Approximately 8 miles
Elevation Gain: Approximately 500 ft.
Time: 10:30 am - 4:30 pm
Weather: Mostly sunny and warm.

This last weekend I had dreams of a big snowshoe outing.  i got a later start than I had hoped for, but I was at the trailhead, geared up, and walking by 10:30.  The plan was to follow Gold Creek up to the basin, then shoot up the slope to Alaska Lake.  The weather was amazing.  It was so sunny, and snow covered the entire ground.  Several times on this hike, it was so bright, even with sunglasses on, that my eyes hurt.  I am not complaining, since here in the PNW getting sunshine like this in April is always a gift.

The snow was frozen so solid early in the morning that I was walking on the surface and not sinking in at all.  I didn't put my snowshoes on for the first hour.  After about an hour and a half, the tracks I was following up the valley stopped, and I started making my own way.  Within an hour, I came to a huge open area.  It was so sunny and warm, and beautiful that I just had to stop.  I took out my lunch and enjoyed the peace and quiet of the wilderness around me.  I laid down and took a nap for about 30 minutes.  I woke up and followed my tracks back to the trailhead.  I will save Alaska Lake for another day.

Orchid: Lunch and my power nap.

Onion: A bridge crossing to get up the valley that was a little sketchy.

Picture:

Google Map

No comments:

Post a Comment