Sunday, November 21, 2010

Week 12 Nov. 21 - Wilderness Peak

Total Distance: 6.6 miles
Elevation Gain: Approximately 1200 ft.
Time: 10:15 am - 2:45 pm
Weather: Cold and snowy.

This was the second hike of the Outdoor Club at my school.  I had two colleagues volunteer to come with me, one of which who brought her sweet yellow lab, Carter, along.  For the last week, all I had heard from students and colleagues was how the weather was going to be "snowy and potentially too icy to drive."  As a result, we chose a low elevation hike close to major roads.  We also had a contingency plan to hike in a local park, if it was too risky to even try to drive.

Before I left my house to head to our meeting place, I had received one text about two kids not making it, and I started to think many would chicken out.  It was not snowing at 8:30 am, but it was chilly.  As I waited I was pleasantly surprised when more and more kids started showing up.  We had a total of 6, that is double the previous outing, and two were repeat offenders.

Anyway, to the hike....

We started to climb right from the get go.  It wasn't insanely steep, but it was definitely taking my breath away.  Quickly, most of us were sweating in the 37 degree weather, and we started taking off layers.  The hike was good.  Not too long, or too short.  We took lots of little breaks.

Around 1:00 pm the snow started.  Lightly at first, then a little more heavy, but never super wet.  It was magical as the ferns and trees began to take on a light dusting of snow.  Unfortunately, my camera battery died, and I could not get it to stay on long enough to catch more than one quick snap shot at a time.  As we were just about done with the loop, the snow was really starting to stay in a steady flow.  If we had started two hours later, it would have been really cool.  But a great hike, nonetheless.

Orchid: The beautiful, light dusting of snow on all the ferns and trees.

Onion: My right ankle hurts at times while I am hiking.  A sharp, significant pain...

Picture:
 

No comments:

Post a Comment