Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Week 37.5 May 18 - Kayaking Chambers Creek

Total Distance: Approximately 2.5 miles
Elevation Gain: Approximately 500 ft.
Time: 12:30 pm - 1:40 pm
Weather: Mostly sunny, warm.

This was not really a backcountry trip, but this was worth blogging about.

My friend who teaches high school Biology takes students every year to a creek near school where they study the natural environment.  He was interested in looking for other sites upstream on the creek, and asked me if I wanted to go help him scout the creek by kayaking down.  With our schools schedule we both have one day every two weeks were we are free between 9:30 am and 1:50 pm.

We left school at 11:30 and dropped one car off at the park where the kids already explore.  We drove a few miles up the road, and found where we could put in, just north of Steilacoom Lake.  

We got our kayaks inflated, life jackets and helmets on, and launched at about 12:30 pm.  I have never kayaked before.  It was awesome.  There were definitely scary sections, where trees had fallen over and the creek was moving really fast, but the adrenaline rush and the feeling of ripping through the creek was awesome.  There were some really sweet whitewater sections, and I only had to bail out two or three times.  My friend said I did great for a first timer, I loved every second of it.  Especially the private property portaging we had to do.  Nothing like the thrill of trespassing.

I will be out on kayaks again before the 52 weeks are up.

Orchid: Being in a kayak.

Onion: Almost being late for my last period class.

No Picture

No comments:

Post a Comment