Sunday, July 3, 2011

Week 44 Jul. 3 - Upper South Fork of the Skokomish River

Total Distance: Approximately 10 miles
Elevation Gain: Approximately 2500 ft.
Time: 10:00 am - 2:30 pm
Weather: Sunny, scattered clouds, mid-70s.

Well, I picked this hike late last night, but I got up early and was at the trailhead at 10 am.  Couple factors went into choosing this trail.  First, my northwest forest pass expired at the end of June, and I don't need to buy one really until August, since almost all of my July hikes are planned and not in Forest areas.  Second, it was lower elevation and in the south section of the Olympic National Forest.  I was hoping both of these conditions would mean no snow on the trail.

It was a two hour drive, only because the last 40 miles were all on gravel, backcountry roads.  I was excited for this hike, if only to get out and stretch my legs a bit.  I leave on Tuesday for a 14 day/13 night backpacking trip in Mount Rainier National Park, and I want to be confident both in my shape and on my right ankle.

I checked in on the trailhead ledger.  I saw there was only one group out ahead of me, which made sense, since there was one other car in the parking lot.  I geared up and hit the trail right at 10 am.  Within 15 minutes, I caught the other 4 people and passed them.  About 5 minutes later, I was at the first crossing of the South Fork of the Skokomish.  A beautiful river, that definitely had some hardcore winter run-off.  The first bridge was out.  I found a downed tree and was able to scoot on my butt across the river.  It took me a while, when I eventually crossed and got back on the trail, I saw the group of four crossing downstream on a much bigger nicer log.  I filed that away for my return hike.

I kept walking up the trail.  I had no particular destination.  The trailhead said it was 4 miles to Startup Creek Camp, 5 miles to the Park Boundry, and 7 miles to the Sundown Pass.  I thought if I could get to the pass that would be great.  Right around 11:15 am, I saw what I thought were two horses about 30 yards away.  I was looking at them from behind, quickly scanning for owners, I saw a huge elk with a good rack on his head about 20 yards off to the left.  Once he saw me, he took off up the slope to the right.  His friends followed suit.  In this one instance I saw 6 elk bounding up the hill.  I continued on, and I began to sing out loud to create more noise and not come upon some other wild creatures without announcing myself.

Right after the elk encounter, I hit snow.  At first small patches, then large fields covering the trail.  I was able to follow what seemed like the natural flow and never really lost the trail.  I got to another creek crossing without a clearly marked bridge.  I made my way across and had my first break at around 11:45 am.  During my break, I decided not to continue the hike any further up the trail.  My ankle was fine, but I did not want to push my luck in the snow.  I had a delicious lunch, then I was going to go swimming.  I got knee-deep in the creek and wussed out; it was too cold.

The hike out was great.  I had no trouble finding my way, and I crossed another group of elk, this time I only saw 4 before they disappeared in the canopy of the forest.  I was out a little faster than I took to get in.

Orchid: The warm sun baking sections of the trail producing that irrefutable smell of summer.

Onion: Snow at 2200 feet.

Picture:

Google Map, GPS Track

No comments:

Post a Comment