Sunday, May 13, 2012

Week 89 May 13 - Oyster Dome

Total Distance: Approximately 6.5 miles
Elevation Gain: Approximately 2900 ft.
Time: 11 am - 3 pm
Weather: Beautiful sunny day.

I was up in Bellingham to see the baseball team from my school on Saturday, and I used the opportunity to hike up north.  I stayed with a friend who goes to Western, and he suggested a hike up to the top of the "Oyster Dome."  I got to the trailhead around 10:50 am.  I realized that I had no food but plenty of water.  I took off any way.

For the second straight week, the weather was ridiculously nice.  It was warm.  I was hiking in shorts and a cotton t-shirt.  The hike was a nice, steady climb.  It was busy, but not in a bad way.  Families were out together.  It was nice to see mothers with their sons and daughters.  I passed a lovely couple with a 10 month old baby.  I kept a steady pace, and only took one 15 minute break on the way up.

At the top, the view of the San Juan islands and the Olympics was stunning.  The Puget Sound is beautiful.  The couple I passed was only a few minutes behind, and they joined me on the rock I had sat on.  We chatted and enjoyed each other's company.  They gave me a bag of dried dates.  I thanked them before heading down around 1:30.  I was at the car before 3 pm.  The decent went fast.

Orchid: Lovely hike.

Onion: No food.

Picture:

Google Map

No comments:

Post a Comment