Sunday, March 6, 2011

Week 27 Mar. 5 & 6 - Cape Alava

Total Distance: Approximately 5.2 miles
Elevation Gain: Approximately 500 ft.
 
Time: 11:35 am Sat. - 12:05 pm Sun.
Weather: Partly cloudy with some magnificent sun breaks.

So this hike started has an Outdoor Club trip, but getting back to school on Wednesday and going back out on Friday was just too unreasonable for the kids.  As a result, I decided to cancel the school trip and instead go out myself.  

I got up at 6:30 am on Saturday and drove to the trailhead.  I was there around 11:30am.  The walk to Cape Alava from the Ozette Ranger Station is 3.1 miles.  I began the walk at 11:35 and was at the beach by 1:00 pm.  A pretty good pace, i thought, and by the time I hit the beach the sun was out.  I set up camp, and packed a small day back and walked down south to Wedding Rocks, about a mile away.  Apparently there are petroglyphs here, but I could not find them.  I spent time sitting and reflecting.  I love the wilderness so much.  I thought this hiking commitment would have satisfied my appetite for wild places.  I fear the appetite is only growing and becoming harder to satisfy.

Anyway, after searching in vain for the petroglyphs for about an hour, I went back to camp.  Got back around 5:45 pm and made dinner, watched the sun set into the Pacific and put all the little things away before heading into my tent.  I was going into my tent to read, but it was 7:15 pm and I could not keep my eyes open.  I laid my head down and was asleep by 7:30 pm.  I woke up the next morning at 8:30 am.  It was the best sleep I have had in years.

I had my oatmeal and coffee, put camp away, and started the walk out by 10:20am.  I was at the car at 11:53am.  All I could think about was how I wish I wasn't leaving.

Orchid: First solo night in the wild.

Onion: Leaving Sunday morning.

Picture:


No comments:

Post a Comment